Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Scrum.

It's easily the most intimidating part of the game. The rugby scrum can be a frightening experience for novice players. For veterans and fans alike, the scrum is the driving force of the game. Players display the most strength and skill in this part of a match.

As a player who enjoys the physicality of the game, the rugby scrum is my favorite part of a match. As a prop, which is explained in the link, I am in the front ranks of the action. When I first started playing rugby, the thought of being in a scrum was absolutely terrifying! Over time, my coaches and fellow players coached me through how to safely and properly engage in a scrum.

There are 4 simple rules to follow in the scrum.
1. Crouch.
2. Touch.
3. Pause.
4. Engage.
The rules help establish the rhythm of the scrum and help ensure that each team approaches the scrum safely and properly.

A scrum occurs after a penalty or offense. The teams battle for possession of the ball. Although it only last for a few seconds, it is essential for a good team to be able to use the scrum to its advantage.

Here's a good look at how at scrum works in a match:

5 comments:

  1. I would die in rugby. My skinny arms would just snap. Glad you have to courage to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should give it a try! It's really not as bad as it may seem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tom. If I ever played rugby I would leave injured. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Rugby is dang intensive. At least that's what I have been led to believe...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember a buddy of mine always tried to get me to come out and play rugby. I have bad enough shoulders as it is, no reason to force myself to have surgery.

    Crazy sport and props to those who play.

    ReplyDelete