Friday, February 4, 2011

Spreading Rugby Knowledge

Don't know what rugby is? Well you're in luck, because I am going to describe one of the most fun and dynamic sports on the rise right now.

Rugby is a sport that can best be described as a mix between American football and soccer. In a traditional game, 15 players are required to play on each side. Each player has a specific duty in his or her position, and as such each individual's strengths are highlighted in the game.

Here's a snippet of what a rugby game might look like:
I've been playing for a few months now and believe it's absolutely one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I love sports and now rugby is no exception. But I must warn you, it is not for the faint at heart. 

When I first began I had no rugby knowledge at all. In fact, most Americans have next to no knowledge about rugby. That is because it is a sport that is more popular overseas, especially in Europe and Australia. The level of rugby participation varies around the world. It can vary from a league level to associations to unions.

My one preconception about the sport was that it seemed dangerous. However, you will be trained thoroughly to promote safety during a match. Safety is one of the most important considerations made in rugby. If you're up for the challenge I encourage you to try it. I hope you walk away, like I did, with no regrets. 

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were into rugby. Cool! If you are on the Rice team, say hello to Tracey and Alice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surely do!! It's so much fun and Alice & Tracey are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea what Rugby was before this! I honestly thought it was a fantastic sport solely for the striped shirts.

    ReplyDelete